A New Way to Menu Plan
I’m no good at meal planning. There’s tons of things that go wrong and I just don’t handle it well.
1) Tuesday’s meal makes enough for leftovers. Now I’m stuck. Do I skip Wednesday? Do I push back Wednesday? Do I push back all of them, but then that throws off the future weeks I planned and the groceries for Wednesday will inevitably go bad. Or do I keep the leftovers in the fridge until they go bad?
2) Wednesday’s meal is supposed to be leftovers from Tuesday, but there’s not enough. Now what? We can push up each meal a night, but then what do we eat Sunday? Or do I need to buy groceries early? Or will we just end up eating canned beans with a fork that night?
3) Something comes up Thursday night. We aren’t home for dinner. See #1 for my freak out.
4) We were supposed to eat at a friend’s house Friday, but they cancelled at the last minute. See #2 for my freak out.
5) Tak #1-#4 and put them in the same week! We’re wasting tons of food and money here! And I’m more stressed out than if I didn’t have a plan!
Do you see my problem here? I think it’s the calendar, or the schedule. It just throws me off. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a schedule… but I was thinking the other night this might be a good place for a list.
What if, instead of scheduling my meals, I made a list of the meals I want to have in the order I want to have them. Yes, I get this is pretty much the same thing but follow me here.
So we go from this:
See what I did there? It’s so simple, but in my head it’s so pivotal! So Thursday night we have fried rice again… that’s not a problem. We eat the meal until it’s gone, and then I make the next.
If the end of the week comes and we stopped at Breaded Chicken… that becomes the top of my list for next week.
I know this isn’t really original. Everything I’m talking about here is part of other menu plan systems. The thing that makes the difference for me is taking away the day association. I’m going to eat these meals, in this order. If other things come up, I know where to pick back up.
What, you were expecting something more profound? Hehe!